Friday, February 20, 2009

Marrakesh - DC Restuarant Week

DC's restaurant week was this week (ends on Sunday the 22nd). I've never been to r-wk before, I actually only heard about it for the FIRST time last year (or the year before) from AJ when she raved about Baltimore's r-wk. I was very surprised to learn about this event and have wanted to participate since I heard about it. I'm glad to finally get a chance to be a part of it and try out some really fancy restaurants.

Marrakesh is a Moroccan restaurant at 2147 P St. NW, Washington DC. Just 2 blocks from the Dupont Circle metro stop (walk diagonal to the left towards the circle).

This was a group from work. Not really co-workers since I don't/won't work with them (they're on the Federal side), but I know a Fed guy (went to school with him) and he invited me. (But then he ended up not going, long story, not appropriate for this blog). We ordered our 3 courses all at once...when everyone arrived finally at 8pm or so...

So on to the 3 courses! I have my handy dandy menu as reference! Appetizer was a Seafood Bastilla, which was "Filo dough stuffed with mushrooms, scallops, shrimps and vermicelli." It was rather interesting...it was SOOOO dark there, I couldn't see that the top was a lemon rind, I thought they were onions....although you can see clearly from this picture, they're not! Ha. The Bastilla was crunchy, the dough wasn't as I imagined it to be filling, but rather thin, in layers. The insides were as mentioned above. A bit of salt and some boring spices...not a very thrilling appetizer...



The entree was Lamb Tagine, Braised lamb with prunes, sesame seeds and almonds. The dark stuff surrounding the middle are the prunes...I forgot the ingredients and really thought they were shitake mushrooms until I took a bite of it...I don't like prunes. The almonds were good. The lamb was interesting, very soft but not much flavor to it. There was a bit of drizzle, but it didn't have a strong taste.



And finally the dessert. A boring old cheesecake with strawberry drizzle on it. I originally ordered a creme Caramel a la Marocaine, but after we finished our entrees our server informed us they were out of that....very very disappointed, I was really looking forward to some good dessert!



Total Price: r-wk price $35.09 + tax + tip = $45

No comments:

Post a Comment