Tuesday, February 24, 2009

King's Contrivance

Today was lunch with AJ, after almost 2 months since the last time. (I don't care that we've seen each other at least 4-5 times in between, it doesn't count unless it's lunch, right, haha).

I had pitched Applebee's since TKN sent me the link to the 2 for 20 deal (E did too earlier that same day but via IM). Anyhow, AJ always has other plan on her mind. She calls at 12:15 as she's leaving campus to tell me it's Howard County's R-wk. Of course. LOL. So I'm googling as she drives. Apparently I mumble (what a surprise). I chose King's Contrivance because I recognized it from a list of 20-30 restaurants that were participating in R-wk. It's located close to her house so I figured it should work for both of us. The address is: 10150 Shaker Drive, Columbia, MD 21046.

Well, as it turns out, they only serve R-wk items for dinner. Fun. AJ said I'm putting a hole in her wallet...yes, I know. You're telling the person who ate out several times over the course of a few days...ha.

Anyways, on to the food. We both got Maryland Crab Soup. I was halfway through mine before I remembered to take pictures. So this is my half-eaten Maryland Crab Soup. I never had it before (yes, I was born in MD...your point?) and it tasted pretty good. It actually reminds of me of Vegetable Soup with pieces of crab thrown in them. Yes, that's what it looked like too since the crabs were on the bottom and pearly white, not like it had been cooked with in the soup. It was good though. I bit salty, but I think I like my soups light, not American style salty... It has assorted veggies: carrots, corn, beans, tomatoes, onions, cabbage (I think, I forget)...and whatever you can decipher from the picture. =)


Then I ordered a Jumbo Lump Crabcake with remoulade sauce, coleslaw and roasted Yukon gold potatoes. Let's start one by one. The crabcake was excellent. Actually it's about as good as G&M's crabcake, a bit smaller, but they have bigger chunks and not as many shells. The downside is this didn't taste as fresh, like it had been frozen for awhile, unlike G&M's who make them fresh. The remoulade sauce tasted like tartar sauce to me...It goes with seafood so it wasn't bad. The potatoes could've used some seasoning or ketchup, but the "tartar sauce" worked for me. And finally the "coleslaw." I forgot that was part of the entree and I told AJ it was a mix between salsa and coleslaw. It had a strange taste that I couldn't figure out. I kep picking at it and trying it various times. I couldn't get over the strange taste. The fact that coleslaw has tomatoes, spring onions and white onions baffle me... Overall I enjoyed it alot.


This was AJ's entree: Chesapeake Caesar Salad with shrimp, scallops and crab meat sauteed with Old Bay over a layer of romaine lettuce and tomatoes. The two things sticking out on the sides are napa (my guess)...AJ didn't like those. I've never had them raw like that so I wouldn't know. It looked pretty good, a very good assortment of seafood and on romaine vs some other strange veggie. I can't remember the last time I had caesar sauce, I just remember it's made from anchovies or something random like that. I'd say it was a good entree, AJ cleared her plate. (Sidenote: She will clean her plate regardless, but I trust her opinion since we seem to try/eat similar things - except the cheese thing).


Total Price: Soup $6 + Entree $17 + tax + tip = $29
AJ's salad and soup came to be the same price as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment